Pizza Twist in Cherry Hill is the latest restaurant showing what appears to be a new trend in Indian-style pizza in South Jersey. It joins a few other places where classic pizza meets the flavors of Indian cuisine.
Some common elements of Indian pizza include:
- Curry toppings: Instead of the usual tomato sauce base, Indian pizza often features curry sauces like tikka masala, butter chicken, or paneer tikka.
- Indian spices: Indian spices like cumin, coriander, turmeric, and garam masala are commonly used to infuse the pizza with Indian flavors.
- Vegetarian toppings: Vegetarian options are popular in Indian cuisine, so toppings like paneer (Indian cottage cheese), mushrooms, bell peppers, onions, and tomatoes are frequently used.
- Paneer: Paneer is a popular cheese in Indian cuisine, similar to cottage cheese, and is often a preferred topping for Indian pizzas.
- Tandoori toppings: Tandoori chicken is a common and delicious topping choice, marinated in yogurt and spices and cooked in a tandoor (clay oven).
- Indian herbs and chutneys: Fresh cilantro (coriander) leaves, mint chutney, or tamarind chutney may be used to add extra flavors.
- Naan or roti crust: Some variations of Indian pizza use naan bread or roti (Indian flatbread) as the pizza crust, which adds an authentic Indian touch.
Where to Find Indian-Style Pizza in South Jersey
Pizza Twist – Cherry Hill
480 E. Evesham Road #2
The Cherry Hill Pizza Twist is the 5th location in New Jersey for the chain, with over 50 across the USA. It has every pizza imaginable including options for vegans, gluten-free, dairy-free, low-carb, halal, and more. With over 30 toppings, customers can build their own. The menu features appetizers, wings, pasta, salads, and desserts, too.
Singas Famous Pizza – Marlton
140-150 Route 73 North
Singas Pizza, also a chain, opened its Marlton location in April. While it offers all kinds of pizza and many other food items, it provides a few different Indian-style pizza options, including Chicken Tikka, Paneer Tikka, and Swaminarayan/Jain Pizzas – which feature a delicious tomato-based sauce with a hint of chili for a little kick!
Naan Indian Bistro – Moorestown
Route 38/Moorestown Mall
As I reported last month, Naan Indian Bistro has started offering pizza with Indian flavors on its lunch menu for takeout only.
Illegal Affair – Egg Harbor Township
6208 E Black Horse Pike
An Illegal Affair recently opened and offers more than pizza. The menu features “Indian fast food” too! In fact, it blends some traditional American pizza shop fare with Indian favorites such as samosa, pakoras, etc. You’ll also find a few Indo-Chinese options and a whole menu section dedicated to egg dishes. The menu looks pretty interesting and unlike anything I’ve seen before.
Are you a fan of Indian-style pizza? Am I missing any spots? Let me know!